So... I know that several of you want me to keep you posted about the Family in Translation job search.
Yesterday I finished sending out my applications. All three of them. I could have applied to a few more places, but how could I ever apply to Princeton, or Berkeley, or Stanford? I'm a tiny tiny fish in this big pond of academia and it's just a waste of time trying to pass as a big fish. I'm not applying for mere teaching (instructor) positions either and there were two or three of those.
The thing is, both of us are applying, so my search is a bit useless at this point. My husband is sending out almost thirty application, ten times as much. Only one university has positions for both of us (the second one was the application that I "lost") and it's not in a very "attractive" place, but still, if both of us got tenure track jobs, we woudn't mind going to live right smack in the middle of this huge country, far from family and friends.
Our preferences are as follows: Massachusetts (only one of my husband's applications), Atlanta, and Florida (mostly because we have friends there and the climate) -- this last one is my application that won't be considered. There are two schools here in the area that would be convenient only for the fact that we wouldn't need to move right away, but we kind of don't like it here very much... Staying in the Northeast/ East coast would be good, though, and there are comparatively few positions in this geographical area that hubby's applying to.
So, these are the possibilities. At this point I'm hoping to get one or two interviews at the MLA just so I get to "practice," even though this practice is very nerve-racking. Then I'll be anxiously waiting to see how my husband search goes. I'll keep you posted for sure!
5 hours ago